'Recovery' Run
What better way to spend an evening following a Run-As-Hard-As-You-Can Half Marathon,
and two Days on your feet for 12½ hours each at work..
than a nice gentle recovery run
Good Plan Leon - like it - a lot!
So - dutifully took running kit to work with me......
and ran home

Forgot to put my Garmin on (probably a good thing), and had decided to run to a Heart Rate instead.
Plan was - keep the HR below 160, and allow myself to reach the heady heights of 165 on the hills!
The first 7 miles were fine (apart from a persistent stitch which I seem to have had since Sunday)
Legs were tired, but that was to be expected
First Hill was good too - in fact had found a pretty comfortable running rhythm by this time.
Then there was the descent to 10 miles and the second hill
Hmmmmmmmm
I had never before understood what people had meant by "I just couldn't get my heart rate up" - It's something that some of the Elite Start type Guys on Forum can be seen saying sometimes on their race reports...
Well - it happened to me today!
Heart and lungs were willing - legs were unable to deliver!!!!!
So - the 2nd hill and last 3 miles were really painful!!!!
But I kept on going - because running on tired legs is something that I need to get used to
'cos it'll happen in the Marathon!!!!.
So...
Finished
Stretched
20 mins in icy cold bath
then warm bath
then food
Achieved what I set out to do - long run on tired legs - slow Base Training type pace with a HR reasonably low (for me!)
Right - the numbers
Distance: 13.2miles
Time: 1:56:24
Pace: 8:49 min/mile
AvHR: 160

and two Days on your feet for 12½ hours each at work..
than a nice gentle recovery run
Good Plan Leon - like it - a lot!
So - dutifully took running kit to work with me......
and ran home

Forgot to put my Garmin on (probably a good thing), and had decided to run to a Heart Rate instead.
Plan was - keep the HR below 160, and allow myself to reach the heady heights of 165 on the hills!
The first 7 miles were fine (apart from a persistent stitch which I seem to have had since Sunday)
Legs were tired, but that was to be expected
First Hill was good too - in fact had found a pretty comfortable running rhythm by this time.
Then there was the descent to 10 miles and the second hill
Hmmmmmmmm
I had never before understood what people had meant by "I just couldn't get my heart rate up" - It's something that some of the Elite Start type Guys on Forum can be seen saying sometimes on their race reports...
Well - it happened to me today!
Heart and lungs were willing - legs were unable to deliver!!!!!
So - the 2nd hill and last 3 miles were really painful!!!!
But I kept on going - because running on tired legs is something that I need to get used to
'cos it'll happen in the Marathon!!!!.
So...
Finished
Stretched
20 mins in icy cold bath
then warm bath
then food
Achieved what I set out to do - long run on tired legs - slow Base Training type pace with a HR reasonably low (for me!)
Right - the numbers
Distance: 13.2miles
Time: 1:56:24
Pace: 8:49 min/mile
AvHR: 160



5 Comments:
good lad!
By
Evil Pixie, on 01 March, 2006 08:20
err I don't think a half marathon counts as a recovery run!!
By
beanz, on 01 March, 2006 09:12
Beanz: Nope- you're right - bu it was a 'recovery' run
;o)
and this morning - DOMS has calmed down hugely, and I managed a long run on tired leg, which was a good experience too (according to my "PT")
Thanks Pix
:-D
By
Leon, on 01 March, 2006 10:09
Blimey you are packing the miles in
By
b-z, on 01 March, 2006 19:10
Thanks Wynthorpe - have to say, I was very pleased with this one.
b-z, too right! - I've got a marathin to train for - and I need miles more than anything!!!
By
Leon, on 01 March, 2006 22:18
Post a Comment
<< Home