Roding Valley HM+0.522 (ish)
Funny title I hear you say...
Well - funny race.
Apparently the lead car has a TIA and took the lead runners the wrong way - and so in order for it to be officially a race - the organisers sent everyone the wrong way too! Having not run the race before, I assumed that I'd had a GPS mini-stroke, and that the Mile markers weren't out by over half a mile at all!
Much disgruntlement at the end, it has to be said - and the Race Director - in his Goldfish bowl at 'Results Central' was looking somewhat harassed.
Funny that!
Anyway - the race.
On the way there, it started to snow. Hmmmm though I - might be a bit nippy then! Better actually warm up before this one for a change. So - did the normal runners' necessaries (as you do) and went to plod a few times around the track just to get the blood coursing and hopefully avoid any silly - muscles are cold injury type thingies!
And we were off (2 mins after the official start time) - and it was........ bliddy freezing!
Ms Womble had suggested that I would be able to get under 1:35
.... a suggestion which I went "Pah" at - after all, if you look at my mileage for this month, it's not good!!
and the longest run I'd had in a week was Li'l Profs 3.13 miler on Thursday!
Hmmmmm - maybe I should employ him as my tapering coach!!
The first two miles were pretty quick - helped in no small part by the undulating nature of the course.
Mile 3 was a long drag up - with the steepest bit at the end - but still rather pleased, and surprised at the pace I was keeping - and it was about this point that I though - "Hmmmm, not much training - pretty quick for me - wonder if I should temper this a bit?"
But then it flattened off and running was fluid and easy - followed by a dreamy decline. Looking at Mr GPS I kept seeing 6's
eeek - don't see them very often - but I was running downhill, and keeping the effort minimal.
This continued to mile 9 (the point at which *I* had noticed that the Mile markers didn't correspond at all with Mr Garmin
Damn - [thought I] - I though I was doing OK
I started to get a little jaded around 10 miles (on the Garmin) 9½ according to the now fictional Mile Markers - and my pace dropped a little over the last few miles. Was pretty pleased though, because as I got tired and felt myself running 'heavier', I consciously made myself concentrate on holding my form, and, oddly enough, it felt much easier..
At 11½, Mr Man in Black came thumping past me
So I sat on his shoulder until just after the 12 Mile Marker - then gently applied the accelerator...
Bye Bye Mr Man In Black!!
Oooh look - Mr Man in Blue Tri Top ahead...
I'll have you too matey
Zooom..
..and then the worry.. felt my right calf doing the - careful sonny - I'm going to cramp on you in a minute... so had to stretch it out while still trying to keep up my pace - difficult that!!!!
As I came to the turn into the finish line, I saw Ms Womble who had had to pull out - and it was great to see her there - 'cos I was really pooped by this time!
Finished - Garmin said 13.71 at an average pace of 6:57 - 1:35:17 (which was the time I was given on the preliminary results!
Beside which was a note from Mr Race Director saying - Sorry - we stuffed up - we'll accurately measure the extra that people ran and publish pro rata times for a HM for you.
The word on the street from the marshals was that it was 0.6 miles too far
Well - *that* time was a HM pb anyway - and the pro rata time (based on the 0.6 thing) will be about 1:31:06
Pretty chuffed about that!!!
Just off to measure it myself on my mapping software
(Well - you know how I like stats)
Oh - and my HRM strap slipped before the first mile - so no stats there - needless to say - it wasn't a 65% MaxHR LSD!!!!!!!!!!!
:o)
The Numbers from Mr Garmin
Well - funny race.
Apparently the lead car has a TIA and took the lead runners the wrong way - and so in order for it to be officially a race - the organisers sent everyone the wrong way too! Having not run the race before, I assumed that I'd had a GPS mini-stroke, and that the Mile markers weren't out by over half a mile at all!
Much disgruntlement at the end, it has to be said - and the Race Director - in his Goldfish bowl at 'Results Central' was looking somewhat harassed.
Funny that!
Anyway - the race.
On the way there, it started to snow. Hmmmm though I - might be a bit nippy then! Better actually warm up before this one for a change. So - did the normal runners' necessaries (as you do) and went to plod a few times around the track just to get the blood coursing and hopefully avoid any silly - muscles are cold injury type thingies!
And we were off (2 mins after the official start time) - and it was........ bliddy freezing!
Ms Womble had suggested that I would be able to get under 1:35
.... a suggestion which I went "Pah" at - after all, if you look at my mileage for this month, it's not good!!
and the longest run I'd had in a week was Li'l Profs 3.13 miler on Thursday!
Hmmmmm - maybe I should employ him as my tapering coach!!
The first two miles were pretty quick - helped in no small part by the undulating nature of the course.
Mile 3 was a long drag up - with the steepest bit at the end - but still rather pleased, and surprised at the pace I was keeping - and it was about this point that I though - "Hmmmm, not much training - pretty quick for me - wonder if I should temper this a bit?"
But then it flattened off and running was fluid and easy - followed by a dreamy decline. Looking at Mr GPS I kept seeing 6's
eeek - don't see them very often - but I was running downhill, and keeping the effort minimal.
This continued to mile 9 (the point at which *I* had noticed that the Mile markers didn't correspond at all with Mr Garmin
Damn - [thought I] - I though I was doing OK
I started to get a little jaded around 10 miles (on the Garmin) 9½ according to the now fictional Mile Markers - and my pace dropped a little over the last few miles. Was pretty pleased though, because as I got tired and felt myself running 'heavier', I consciously made myself concentrate on holding my form, and, oddly enough, it felt much easier..
At 11½, Mr Man in Black came thumping past me
So I sat on his shoulder until just after the 12 Mile Marker - then gently applied the accelerator...
Bye Bye Mr Man In Black!!
Oooh look - Mr Man in Blue Tri Top ahead...
I'll have you too matey
Zooom..
..and then the worry.. felt my right calf doing the - careful sonny - I'm going to cramp on you in a minute... so had to stretch it out while still trying to keep up my pace - difficult that!!!!
As I came to the turn into the finish line, I saw Ms Womble who had had to pull out - and it was great to see her there - 'cos I was really pooped by this time!
Finished - Garmin said 13.71 at an average pace of 6:57 - 1:35:17 (which was the time I was given on the preliminary results!
Beside which was a note from Mr Race Director saying - Sorry - we stuffed up - we'll accurately measure the extra that people ran and publish pro rata times for a HM for you.
The word on the street from the marshals was that it was 0.6 miles too far
Well - *that* time was a HM pb anyway - and the pro rata time (based on the 0.6 thing) will be about 1:31:06
Pretty chuffed about that!!!
Just off to measure it myself on my mapping software
(Well - you know how I like stats)
Oh - and my HRM strap slipped before the first mile - so no stats there - needless to say - it wasn't a 65% MaxHR LSD!!!!!!!!!!!
:o)
The Numbers from Mr Garmin
Distance: 13.71 miles
Time: 1:35:17
Pace 6:57 min/mile
| Mile | Pace | Time |
| 1 | 6:49 | 6:49 |
| 2 | 6:23 | 13:13 |
| 3 | 7:90 | 20:22 |
| 4 | 7:06 | 27:28 |
| 5 | 6:46 | 34:15 |
| 6 | 6:50 | 41:06 |
| 7 | 6:58 | 48:04 |
| 8 | 6:41 | 54:45 |
| 9 | 7:27 | 1:02:12 |
| 10 | 7:11 | 1:09:23 |
| 11 | 6:56 | 1:16:19 |
| 12 | 7:13 | 1:23:32 |
| 13 | 7:03 | 1:30:35 |
| 0.71 | 6:39 | 1:35:17 |
| Race | 6:57 | 1:35:17 |

Post Script
Have used two bits of mapping software to measure the extra bit and it's about 0.522 miles (approximately)
(or there abouts)
(roughly)
That would make my Corrected time
1:31:13


7 Comments:
See. I told you you could do it :o))
By
womble, on 26 February, 2006 17:52
[the lead car has a TIA and took the lead runners the wrong way]
That really made me laugh that did!
Also.... only roughly or thereabouts 0.522...? ¦oD Bliddy brilliant time though. Mr Speedy Senior! Very proud. Just watch that calf muscle.
(oh also have applied more ice and will do again tonight before bed)
:o)
By
Cath Delaney, on 26 February, 2006 19:06
Well done that man. It's certainly coming together for you just now.
By
RobW, on 26 February, 2006 22:02
[thud as pixie falls on floor]
Well cool!!
great run - now watch that calf!
By
Evil Pixie, on 27 February, 2006 09:51
Well done Leon!! :oD
What's a TIA? Is it a nursey thing (since Caff understands it)
I'm thinking "Twat In Attendance"
By
XFR Bear, on 27 February, 2006 13:39
hee! The TIA thing worked just as well with your meaning Bear - although it's nowt as exciting as that... tis a transient ischaemic attack innit.
By
Cath Delaney, on 27 February, 2006 22:05
Thanks everyone..
The more I thing about it, the more pleased I am with this race...
I'm going to suffer for it though - DOMS has been pretty impressive despite Icy Bath treatment!
No Chance to run on Monday - but long and slow on Tuesday to come (have to get the miles in if I'm going to do anything at FLM)!!
By
Leon, on 01 March, 2006 10:06
Post a Comment
<< Home