"You'rePlanningToDoWHAT...???!!!"

Friday, July 01, 2005

Wednesday

Wednesday

I actually got to do my job today – and it felt good.

A patient was brought from the ward and it was – shall we say – a bit unwell. The story was that he had deteriorated quickly over a half an hour period and the suggestion was made that “maybe he should pop to ICU for a bit”. Medical people – here were some of the numbers:-

pH:- 6.67

Bicarb:- 3.1

BE:- -37

Lactate:- 32

Methinks this little person had been. …errr… “Peeky” for a long period!!!!!! And further ‘history taking from the nursing staff revealed that he had become ‘a bit lethargic and irritable last night’

Aaaaanyway..

I had been allocated to work with a nurse who felt a bit out of her depth with this patient –and I have to admit, he made everyone work pretty hard and pretty quickly. The good thing was that after 7 hours his numbers were normalising and he looked ‘alive’ in the bed again and the problem had been identified..!!!

Excellent – so I had a Good Day at work.

I ran twice too – there and back !!!!!

I have found that my little legs don’t work quite so well after a nights sleep, so the run into work is generally going to be a bit more ‘gentle’ than the run home!!

Here are the numbers:-

Morning Run

Dist:- 3.31 Miles

Time:- 26:27

Pace:- 7:59

AvHR:- 160

Mile1230.31Run
Pace8:027:508:018:117:59
AvHr150163165166160

Hey – wasn’t I good

:o)

Evening Run

Dist:- 3.28 Miles

Time:- 23:55

Pace:- 7:18

AvHR:- 166

Mile1230.28Run
Pace7:087:177:267:307:18
AvHR157169170171166

OK – so this was a little bit quick and I might have to call it an “effort” run, but the point was that it was enjoyable, it felt good, and I am concentrating with all of my runs on the things I was advised by the ‘super-Phizz’ way back when it the dim distant misty past…. And I’m showing no signs of any ITB or other problems!!!

So in a nutshell..

I listened… body said “I’m fine thanks- you carry on!!”

So I did!!!

I spent the evening with a friend.. Anyone old enough to remember the BT advert from a zillion years ago which said …

“It’s good to talk….”

It’s true!!!!!!

12 Comments:

  • !--[if !supportEmptyParas]-- !--[endif]--

    what is that all about ??!!

    pleased you got the chance to do the job - and great outcome!

    had to take out the < bits as it thought I was trying to script too - not allowed in comments!

    By Blogger beanz, on 01 July, 2005 09:49  

  • stop trying to be clever with the blog!
    Sounds like you did good though!

    By Blogger Evil Pixie, on 01 July, 2005 17:40  

  • shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

    naughty numbers!

    By Blogger b-z, on 01 July, 2005 18:17  

  • OMFG!! I'd have crapped myself seeing numbers like that!

    "a bit peaky"...????????

    WTF were they thinking...??????

    jeeez-us.

    By Blogger Cath Delaney, on 01 July, 2005 21:28  

  • I would ask MrsW about what those numbers mean but Blood Chemistry ain't her strong suit. What do they mean? obviously not very good.

    Sounds like a job well done anyway.

    By Blogger RobW, on 01 July, 2005 22:33  

  • Just seen the "rubbish" on the post
    (now removed!!!)

    'twas 'cos I pasted it straight from a Word document I think

    ..I'm having some 'internet' issues at the moment!!!!!!

    Rob:- Basically those numbers are incompatible with life!!! Well almost anyway
    (look at post above you - that was exactly how I felt about it!!!!!!!

    By Blogger Leon, on 01 July, 2005 23:23  

  • Exactly Cath!!! This was one sick puppy.. I haven't seen one that sick for a while (Well - not one that survived that is!)
    :o(

    By Blogger Leon, on 02 July, 2005 04:31  

  • you've changed colour!!

    By Blogger beanz, on 03 July, 2005 08:56  

  • Yes - the Green was getting a bit overpowering - so I thought I'd be blue for a while

    ..Hmm - interesting double-entendre there!

    By Blogger Leon, on 03 July, 2005 09:00  

  • yes it was a bit bright


    didn't Picasso have a blue phase?!

    By Blogger beanz, on 03 July, 2005 09:02  

  • Most artists do - inspiration has to come from somewehere!!!

    ...and 'extremes' of any experience are what make you realise that you are alive!

    By Blogger Leon, on 03 July, 2005 09:08  

  • yes indeed

    By Blogger beanz, on 03 July, 2005 09:16  

Post a Comment

<< Home