I ran today - after a fashion
Yup - it's true!
It's been almost 6 weeks since I last pulled on running shoes and went to play with the running thing!
And the first thing that you think when you do such a thing (for the first half mile of so).... This isn't too bad - actually, this feels really easy... actually, I'm running quicker than I was before and it feels OK.
And then realility comes crashing down around you.
Chest is tight, because those lungs haven't expanded that much in ages and it feels like there is months of crud to get out before they are going to work properly again
Heart rate starts to climb to the kind of levels that you would be running the marathon at - but with significantly less speed or style...
And the toxic 20 is REALLY horrible.
NO - REALLY horrible!!!!
It took 3 miles to get into any kind of rhythm (well, this IS me, guys!) and by the time I did - the effects of the lay-off were really starting to show themselves.
There was no bounce in my stride - but there was a little voice in my head saying - this is a first run to stretch out those legs..... so just run it - and ignore the numbers
Ignore the numbers...???
ME....?
The fleeting thought came a couple of times "You can't run the whole way"
I battered THAT down with an imaginary blunt instrument.... there was no way on earth that I was going to walk any of my first run back
(And I didn't!)
So how did I do
OK as it it goes - I have lost a huge amount of condition - no surprise there. But I did put in some reasonable miles
Now..... can I remember how to do the Pictures and figures thing?
Distance: 6 miles
Time: 49:42
Pace: 8:17 min/mile
AvHR: 169bpm
Yes Yes Yes - HR was too high - but the line is straight - and it WAS a "get the legs working" run!!!



It's been almost 6 weeks since I last pulled on running shoes and went to play with the running thing!
And the first thing that you think when you do such a thing (for the first half mile of so).... This isn't too bad - actually, this feels really easy... actually, I'm running quicker than I was before and it feels OK.
And then realility comes crashing down around you.
Chest is tight, because those lungs haven't expanded that much in ages and it feels like there is months of crud to get out before they are going to work properly again
Heart rate starts to climb to the kind of levels that you would be running the marathon at - but with significantly less speed or style...
And the toxic 20 is REALLY horrible.
NO - REALLY horrible!!!!
It took 3 miles to get into any kind of rhythm (well, this IS me, guys!) and by the time I did - the effects of the lay-off were really starting to show themselves.
There was no bounce in my stride - but there was a little voice in my head saying - this is a first run to stretch out those legs..... so just run it - and ignore the numbers
Ignore the numbers...???
ME....?
The fleeting thought came a couple of times "You can't run the whole way"
I battered THAT down with an imaginary blunt instrument.... there was no way on earth that I was going to walk any of my first run back
(And I didn't!)
So how did I do
OK as it it goes - I have lost a huge amount of condition - no surprise there. But I did put in some reasonable miles
Now..... can I remember how to do the Pictures and figures thing?
Distance: 6 miles
Time: 49:42
Pace: 8:17 min/mile
AvHR: 169bpm
Yes Yes Yes - HR was too high - but the line is straight - and it WAS a "get the legs working" run!!!





4 Comments:
Not bad.....bit of training and there's a marathon you could do in October!
By
Anonymous, on 02 August, 2006 23:28
Slacker! Only 6m!?! I thought you were doing a proper run!! >hides<
By
Evil Pixie, on 03 August, 2006 09:26
So have you run again?? I have >beams foolishly<
well???
By
Evil Pixie, on 04 August, 2006 15:49
not yet Pix - but later I will
:o)
Hmmm a marathon in October...
might have a bash
;o)
By
Leon, on 04 August, 2006 17:32
Post a Comment
<< Home