Count your blessings
Had one of those 'stop you in your tracks' moments the other day at work.
To put this into context, I'd been thinking about a friend of mine with whom I seem to have lost contact recently. Something which saddens me hugely. And my life has been completely simplistic and easy - cosseted in any ways - in comparison to theirs...
And so I can only really be grateful for the lot that life has given me to this point.
I'm 39 years old....
I've experienced some incredible things - and been able to do some amazing things that have been a symptom of a relatively privileged existence - and taking the opportunities that have been either presented to me, or that I have made for myself....
Anyway - the 'thing' that hit me between the eyes...
I was covering a break in Transplant Suite. The patient was a 15yr old previously fit - healthy - intelligent - and very attractive individual..
An incredibly short history of unwellness that turned out to be Dilated Cardiomyopathy (short history is BAD!) for which the only viable treatment option was a heart transplant.
And as she was lying there - I was thinking that there are SO many people who complain about this that and the other...
and I include myself in that
And then it struck me just how LUCKY we are to have the choice to worry about such things
'cos there is no way in hell that this individual will even see her 30's
So her death sentence starts now
and it is really clearly defined.
The thing that really hit me, was that she will not get to experience even as much life and quite probably she will not survive half the life that I've had now
Makes you think!
To put this into context, I'd been thinking about a friend of mine with whom I seem to have lost contact recently. Something which saddens me hugely. And my life has been completely simplistic and easy - cosseted in any ways - in comparison to theirs...
And so I can only really be grateful for the lot that life has given me to this point.
I'm 39 years old....
I've experienced some incredible things - and been able to do some amazing things that have been a symptom of a relatively privileged existence - and taking the opportunities that have been either presented to me, or that I have made for myself....
Anyway - the 'thing' that hit me between the eyes...
I was covering a break in Transplant Suite. The patient was a 15yr old previously fit - healthy - intelligent - and very attractive individual..
An incredibly short history of unwellness that turned out to be Dilated Cardiomyopathy (short history is BAD!) for which the only viable treatment option was a heart transplant.
And as she was lying there - I was thinking that there are SO many people who complain about this that and the other...
and I include myself in that
And then it struck me just how LUCKY we are to have the choice to worry about such things
'cos there is no way in hell that this individual will even see her 30's
So her death sentence starts now
and it is really clearly defined.
The thing that really hit me, was that she will not get to experience even as much life and quite probably she will not survive half the life that I've had now
Makes you think!


15 Comments:
yep we are very lucky .. health is something that we have little control over to a degree
that's why we run isn't it?
By
Evil Pixie, on 18 June, 2006 20:09
yes, it does make you think
but on the other hand
feeling guilt for her would be worng
we all hav to work with what we have
By
b-z, on 18 June, 2006 22:51
Carpe diem and all that. Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life. And one day it will be the last. We just don't know which one it will be.
So to live one's life to the full is one thing. But also to give to others is important too. I know I'm fortunate in my life. What I do at Crisis at Xmas is a tiny way of giving something back. And yet, I feel guilty that I then get something from it myself.
By
womble, on 18 June, 2006 22:58
Ditto this. I learnt this when my Dad died - one day he was there, fooling about doing his "Morecambe and Wide" silly jumps, next we were standing in a cold bleak graveyard 2 weeks before Xmas burying him. Has changed me - I hope for the better. Tis such a cliche, but life IS too short.
This poor girl may not see her 30's out, but God willing the years she does have will be joyous and calm. God speed to her.
By
Anonymous, on 19 June, 2006 22:14
That'll be Morecambe and Wise of course...!
:o)
By
Anonymous, on 19 June, 2006 22:15
Hurrah, the blog is back! :-)
You're right, we're lucky. I often have to remind myself that when I start moaning about my weight or other stupid things. Sure, they're important issues to me but when comparing to other's problems I suddenly realise how thankful I should be.
By
Anonymous, on 21 June, 2006 19:01
(((Leon's leg)))
xxx
By
womble, on 25 June, 2006 08:51
[wanders in with feather duster}
looks like this place is getting messy AGAIN!
By
Evil Pixie, on 03 July, 2006 12:07
How odd, I'm sure he's the one who does the dusting at home ;o))
By
womble, on 04 July, 2006 08:08
well he isn't doing it here! Just look at the mess! Not been sorted out for ages!
By
Evil Pixie, on 04 July, 2006 11:21
[gets out medical things (as seen on Holby City!) and does CPR]
By
Evil Pixie, on 07 July, 2006 16:00
[prods]
is he alive??
By
Evil Pixie, on 07 July, 2006 22:33
dials 999
not sure if I need search and rescue or paramedics?
By
Evil Pixie, on 10 July, 2006 15:14
It's ok, I've found him behind this huge pile of kit that's arrived in the living room..... I'll check to see if he needs resuscitation ;o)
By
womble, on 10 July, 2006 21:58
[stomps feet]
snot fair!!! I get the blame for every thing!
By
Evil Pixie, on 10 July, 2006 22:44
Post a Comment
<< Home