"You'rePlanningToDoWHAT...???!!!"

Monday, April 24, 2006

London has a Marathon, apparently...

Well - it does - I was there. got T-shirt and everything to show for it!!
I was more nervous about this race than any other I've ever been in. Why was that I hear you asking yourselves..!!
Well - in part it was to do with the fact that it's a flippin' long way - in part it was to do with the fact that I've only tried one before and had a nightmare at Mile 21 - in part it was to do with the fact that I'd trained OK, but not as well as I should have - and in part it was to do with the fact that I'd told so many people what I was hoping to acheive.

We caught the Club bus at ridiculously-early o'clock and were taken to somewhere near the Start - and wandered around the runners area doing the last 27 wee's and changing thing - drinking coffee and last fuelling up with Lucozade Sport.. Met up with XFR Bear too - which was really great. It was SO well organised.
"Damping" perfectly for running though, and the temperature was low enough to be pretty much perfect for running.


The advantage of having been 'optimistic' about my expected finishing time (from last years defered entry) was that I was in Pen 2 - just a spit away from the Elite guys!!!!!! And when the race actually started, was running at race pace (well a bit faster than I'd planned actually).
I was fairly confident of running a 3:30 - in my mind I'd thought that if I was going well I might manage 3:20 - so I had a 3:20 pacing band on my wrist- more to see if I was anywhere near it than using it as a guide!!!
As you will know - I Had to get some new shoes a couple of weeks ago - YES YES - I know it was a bad idea, but one that I really didn't have much of a choice about. Well this was going to be the real test of the wisdom or otherwise of that decision!!!!!!
The first mile was quite nice - a few of the more speedy blokes whizzing past and me passing a few people that I suspect had got 'lost' when they went into the pens! But overall - not too much jostling and I was really pleasantly surprised by the fact that it settled down so quickly. The first two miles went by in a bit of a blur, and there was a nice decline in Mile 3 (oops - seen that split..?) where the Red and Blue/Green starts merged with the tradition BOOing. It was hilarious.
At about Mile 4 I was joined by one of the ridiculously quick club runners. We had a little chat about the race and he started to pull away at Mile 5 - at this point I noticed that I was a full 2 minutes ahead of the 3:20 pace splits!
"I'm going too fast" I thought

"Must slow down"
Followed by "Hmmmmm, something sloshing around in bladder - what could that be..??? Nah - it's psychosomatic..!!"
Going round Cutty Sark was amazing - so many people.... I looked for the Club supporters who were there, but couldn't see them. And as each Mile Marker approached I just kept thinking - "this is too fast - slow down you fool"
So what did I do instead

Yup

Got quicker

Idiot

just before Mile 10 - imaginary full bladder felt like it was trying to explode my kidneys and squirt wee out of my ears!!!!
So impromptu toilet stop behind a bus stop in a conveneint bush had to suffice - oh my word - what a difference that made!!!!!!!
Back to running at faster than my If-I'm-Running-Well-Then-I'll-Try-And-Go-That-Pace Pace but now with a stitch that lasted for two miles... think I took on tooo much volume at the water station, and could only relieve it with hand presuure - and obviously didn't drink anything until it had gone away!
Through Mile 11 and passed Nicko who was Lemming - Directing around an unfortunately placed Bollard - very effectively I must say!!! Then onto 12 and Tower Bridge.
OMG - what an amazing place
The noise was immense - a solid wall of it - continuously. Absolutley phenomenal!!!!!
I've never experienced anything quite like it.
Brill!
and so onto the Highway - and passed through the half Marathon point at 1:36:18

That was just ridiculous!!!!

I'd worked out that there was a good chance that I'd see the elite runners along this bit - and I did so just as I was coming up to Mile 14 - now THAT was some experience!!!!!
They're pretty quick, aren't they.??!!


At this point I'd noticed that 'Elvis' was running with me - was looking pretty slim too!!!
but really whatI was thinking about by now was "In 2 miles I'll be at Mudchute"
and that made me smile
A lot!!!!!!!
Arriving there I was greeted by the fantastically animated and encouraging army of Forumites
Dr Coco; Sezz; Vrap, Tink, and Angelmouse; Mava; Spans; Pix (sorry I didn't bring your shoes) and a whole load of others.....
A HUGE thank you to those guys - they provided the required Turbo-boost for the last bit!!!!!!!!
And the psychological boost of then seeing the 17 Mile Marker - and realising there was less than 10 to go...
was immense!
18 ,19 and 20 seemed fine through Docklands - although I was starting to feel a bit tired now
Imagine that!

Mile 21 was a big moment for me - getting past it and back onto the Highway - because I'd not RUN continuosly beyond this before!!!!
It was about this time that I felt the first niggles of impending cramp in my calf... so had to really concetrate on relaxing it - and not pointing my toes too much!!!!!!
My pace started to imperceptibly slow, and HR increased, and I was thinking - "You went off too fast - idiot"
And yes now it started to get hard
I reached Mile 24 and was in the mindset and muttering under my breath
"It's only 2 Miles... It's only 2 Miles... It's only 2 Miles... It's only 2 Miles... It's only 2 Miles..."

What kind of madness is this that we do....?????
To be honest - there was nothing left - not even the strength to take water from the last water station - I was So concentrated on not stopping and finishing that I could almost not even hear the crowds!!
...until just before 25, when I was spotted by about 6 Work colleauges Who started screaming at me in such an amazingly encouraging way, that I kinda snapped out of the introspection, and realised that the Houses of Parliament were just ahead - I was nearly there.

Have you any idea how fantastic it was to see the "800 Metres to go" board
Then I did the Maths "0.48 miles - okay you can do this!!!"
I always try and pick up the pace at the end of race - and once I could see the finish, I though I'd finish with a flourish
Oh how I can Chuckle at that now!!!
I did get faster - by about a nanosecond per mile

But the feeling of crossing the line - the time which I REALLY didn't expect, and the acheivement of getting through those last hellish miles.

Can't wait to see my finish line picture!!!!!!

The Numbers...

Distance: 26.2 miles
Time: 3:16:44
Pace: 7:30 min/mile
AvHR: 180bpm





18 Comments:

  • When I checked your time on the site last night I fell off my chair. That is pretty d**n impressive!

    I am so proud of you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, on 24 April, 2006 20:23  

  • Really well done Leon. I'm really chuffed with that. You did good honey. Really good. Congrats to HCS too on her GFA.

    By Blogger Cath Delaney, on 24 April, 2006 20:26  

  • Thanks Laura...
    I would seem that you were right!!
    But I'm still a bit shocked that I did that!!!

    :o)

    By Blogger Leon, on 24 April, 2006 20:27  

  • [beams]
    Hey Cath
    :o)

    You know you're right - got so caught up in this thing - that I forgot to tell people how she did.

    So - for the record- HCS (my Hyper Competitive Sister) knocked another 2 minutes of the time she did last year
    She was both really pleased and a bit disappointed I think. She set off really quickly - and then realy had to fight in the last 6 miles.
    But still did 3:34

    How brilliant is that..??!!

    Oh and Cath.....

    You were magnificent!
    Am so proud of you!!
    xxx

    By Blogger Leon, on 24 April, 2006 20:32  

  • [Smiles proudly]

    By Anonymous Anonymous, on 24 April, 2006 21:15  

  • smug git!
    tee hee
    NOW can I have my shoes!!

    YOU HERO!

    By Blogger Evil Pixie, on 24 April, 2006 21:16  

  • Well done Leon - great report!

    Seems like your trainers weren't all that bad after all then.

    Lousy medal though - not bling enough innit?

    By Blogger XFR Bear, on 24 April, 2006 21:35  

  • "could only relieve myself with hand pressure". Really?!!

    ;-D

    So proud of you, that is a truly fab time. You looked so fresh at mile 17 as you came speeding in.

    xxx

    By Anonymous Anonymous, on 24 April, 2006 22:13  

  • ROFL

    We really should start a RW "Quotes" Thread.....!!!!

    pt: OK OK - you were right!!!!!
    Bear: Chav shoes were great - no probs with feet apart from the pounding that they got... and yes - a blingless medal!!!
    Bah!
    Pix: If you can reach high enough..!!
    [beams broadly]
    Sarah: I was SO great to see you at Mile 17 :o) Glad it was there though.... if you'd been at Mile 24, You'd have seen me looking like I needed resuscitating!!!!
    Not a pretty sight!!!
    xxx

    By Blogger Leon, on 24 April, 2006 22:28  

  • well done (again)

    and a great read (as usual)

    xx

    By Blogger beanz, on 25 April, 2006 07:20  

  • What an absolutely fantastic run. I am so really pleased for you.

    By Blogger RobW, on 25 April, 2006 08:52  

  • Great run.

    Many congratulations.

    I can almost feel the elation from here.

    By Blogger Highway Kind, on 25 April, 2006 09:47  

  • [Creeps in and spray-paints big shiny stars all over the walls]

    By Anonymous Anonymous, on 25 April, 2006 13:43  

  • And he forgot to mention winning the senior male marathon prize at t'club........

    By Blogger womble, on 25 April, 2006 16:03  

  • Soooooper star you!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, on 25 April, 2006 19:11  

  • :)))))))
    Brilliant

    By Blogger b-z, on 26 April, 2006 08:06  

  • well done Leon on an excellent time! Great report as well!

    By Blogger Phil, on 27 April, 2006 09:23  

  • [sneaks in]

    [leaves huge hug and a mwah]

    [sneaks out again]

    By Blogger womble, on 08 May, 2006 23:18  

Post a Comment

<< Home