On the Bench
Finally had to accept that I'm officially en-benchified..
I've been having a bit of trouble with my right foot - high up on the instep - since Abingdon. There was some visible bruising that I noticed at home once I actually looked at it. And Karen will attest to the fact that it was a 'real' bruise - not a 'man-bruise'!!!!!
My hope was that with a bit of rest - anti-inflammatories and some general firtling, that it would be OK, and the abortive short run of the other night seemed to suggest that it would be fine..
But the first lunchtime run (Monday) to, and with Cath, caused it to flare up again.
A couple more days rest and it was feeling pretty good again, so Yesterday (Thursday) went for another lunchtime run with Cath - which turned out to be a bit of a nightmare for us both.
Cath has already written about her horrible experience - and I have to say - I was REALLY worried about her...
From my perspective, I was fine for about 3 miles - I couldn't hammer up the bridges like I normally would though - it caused discomfort, but otherwise things seemed fine...
Then the first niggles started..
By the time we started to walk - I was not really in a position to carry on running anyway - and stopping still in the life-saving pub - and shop for re-fuelling stuff - made it stiffen up to the point that it hurt both putting it down on the ground, AND lifting it up again.
I ran slowly to the bus stop - That hurt!!!
But sitting with my weight off the foot for 20 minutes seemed to encourage a small degree of recovery. I was able to run the last 3-400 metres back to the house, and the niggles only started in the last 50 or so...
And I have just been on my feet for much of a night shift - and that didn't hurt too much either..
I noticed something interesting there though - I had to run back to the 'Scrubs' Room for a pair of troosers - did so in my socks (Thorlos I'll have you know!!) - and plodded with very distinct forefoot landing style...
Didn't hurt at all...
Food for thought that
The numbers:-
Distance:- 7 Miles
Time:- 1:23:38
Pace:- 11:56 min/mile
AvHR:- 130bpm


6 Comments:
So the answer is run in your Thorlos without Cath?
Or go walking for a weekend in the Lakes and it will all be fine :o))
By
Anonymous, on 04 November, 2005 08:52
or see a physio?
not sure you want to start messing with forfoot running when you have a PB to get at FLM (where I ASSUME I'm supporting you!)
By
Evil Pixie, on 04 November, 2005 09:57
Walking in the Lakes - bring it on
:-D
...in my Thorlos...
(Guess who else is going to be ...there..!!)
LOL
...and Pix, oh yes indeedy... consider your support well-and-truly engaged.
I'm not thinking about THAT radical change to the way I run - it was just an interesting observation I thought...
and perhaps something to think about for the future..
...maybe..!
By
Leon, on 04 November, 2005 11:56
(((((Leon)))). Take it easy huni - you're body seems to be crying out for a rest at the moment!!!
By
Anonymous, on 04 November, 2005 12:26
See.. all my fault..!!
And I spot a POSE PONCE!!
By
Cath Delaney, on 04 November, 2005 13:20
sory to hear that
By
b-z, on 04 November, 2005 23:12
Post a Comment
<< Home